Thursday 8 December 2016

Never Ending Mixtape Part 3


The Never Ending Mixtape continues with another eclectic selection of tunes - very soul focused this month; Ritchie Havens, The Supremes, Marvin and Tammi, Bobby Womack and more.

Check out the Never Ending Mixtape on Spotify, it kicked off with Big Star and The Velvet Underground in October 2016.

A little description/memories on the tunes added this month is posted below. Enjoy.


Going Back To My Roots - Ritchie Havens
An all-time fave that I always play when I DJ. The house piano kicks the groove in from the off.

I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
Outrageous, pure, joyful soul pop. And that bass line. Jackson's youthful vocal is sensational.

Looking For You - Garnett Mimms
Genius songwriting and performance. Heartfelt northern soul. Read my blog on it HERE

Girls - Major Lance
I love the feel of the music and the glorious vocals.

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
The beat, the funky clarinet riff, the bass and Wonder combine to create something wonderful. Check out DJ Spinna's Wonder of Stevie album series for some stunning Stevie covers.

Ain't No Mountain High - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
One of the first records I got from my Mum's old collection was a Marvin and Tammi duets album. Her name Sheila was written in pencil on the top right hand corner. I still have it. The album introduced me to what I consider to be some of the greatest love songs of all-time. Does it get any better than this?

Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
What was that question I just asked? Another Motown gem, an absolutely perfect song in terms of lyrics, music, production, structure and performance.

It's Time To Break Down - The Supremes
Post Diana Ross, The Supremes were led by Jean Terrell. I discovered this song via a St Etienne compilation album. Bob Stanley and Pete Wigs have exceptional taste and knowledge. This is a slow burning classic. What a groove and what a vocal, when it builds to the conclusion it is incredible.

I'll never be free from wanting you
My heart is your prisoner 

(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
Dancing around the legendary Barrowland Ballroom to this song at the annual Barraloadasoul event is a memory I will treasure forever. Looking around and seeing a room full of people smiling, singing, arms aloft and dancing - it doesn't get any better.


My Love Is Your Love (Forever) - The Isley Brothers
Another soul tune I discovered via a St Etienne compilation. This one was called The Trip and it was aptly named. A 2 CD set took the listener on a trip through a wide range of pop, soul, groove and psychedelic music. This is stunning.

Love Ain't Something You Can Get For Free - Bobby Womack
Oh yeah. I was lucky to catch Bobby Womack live in Glasgow just a few months before he passed away. Although he was clearly fragile his voice was powerful and soulful. This is probably my favourite song of his.

Grazing In The Grass (Andrew Weatherall edit/dub) - Dexy's
A band that just keep giving. Kevin Rowland is an exceptional artist, his voice is improving with the years and he has such a clear vision about what he wants to achieve with every single project. This extended edit by Andy Weatherall comes from their Let The Record Show .... album that will feature in my end of year review.



No comments: