Wednesday 21 April 2010

April musings

Well it is 21st April and I've not been to a gig in Glasgow yet this month.

I have ventured to Bathgate and Edinburgh, but finances, work and other mundane things have meant that I haven't been out and about much.

That is about to change, starting with a trip to the good old 13th Note this week to catch Miaoux Miaoux and Dead Boy Robotics as part of a Glasgow Podcart night.

One of the great things about the 13th Note (and there are many) is that it is cheap to hire. If you make a certain amount at the bar then the venue hire (including soundperson) is free. So that allows new bands coming through the chance to put on their own night and either make some money, or not lose that much! The booker (ex-Teenage Fanclub drummer Brendan O'Hare) is also very reliable.

The Glasgow Podcart have been a welcome addition to the Glasgow music scene. Their enthusiasm and knowledge of music is infectious and who knows where their little venture could take them.

Next week I will be heading to Glasgow Barrowlands to see one of my favourite bands/acts of current times - the majestic LCD Soundsystem. I was lucky enough to catch them at the Barras several years ago when Too Many DJ's/Soulwax were supporting. My memories of that night are a little hazy as it was a messy affair, I just remember dancing my socks off!

In other news I'm excited by the prospect of seeing Martha Reeves & The Vandellas perform Motown classics like 'Heatwave', 'Nowhere To Run', 'Jimmy Mack' and 'Dancing In The Streets' at The Arches in the summer. Although I am sure the £26 ticket will be well worth it, I am having to wait until payday to buy one.

No comments: