Sunday 24 July 2016

Introducing - Emme Woods

Photo by Brian Sweeney

Please meet Emme Woods, a 21-year old singer and songwriter who releases her debut 7-inch via Last Night From Glasgow Records tomorrow (Monday 25th July) when she also headlines King Tut's Wah Wah Hut as part of Summer Nights.

Emme used to perform under the guise of Something, Someone - a folky, rootsy and acoustic style won her a number of plaudits and fans. Things changed earlier on in 2016 when Emme bought her first electric guitar.

In came a slow, raw and bluesy style. Emme sent her first recording in this style to Ian Smith, just around the time we had set up Last Night From Glasgow. I think we were on our second or third meeting. 

Ian pressed play and the 6 of us sat round in silence, staring into space or at the speakers, enjoying the raw guitar sound, the slow and unrushed pace of the song and Emme's stunning vocals.

There was a moment of silence before Ian asked everyone for their thoughts. PJ Harvey was mentioned a couple of times before it was swiftly decided that this would be the second release on our fledgling label.


Rather a lot has happened since we launched the label at the end of March. One incredible thing (mentioned in my last label blog about Mark W Georgsson) is that acclaimed Scottish photographer Brian Sweeney is on board as Artistic Director!

Brian shot the beautiful cover for the 7-inch record (artwork above) and also the promo film below.

The black and white film fits the song perfectly and I think that when you watch it, the film enhances the song as they work so well together; Emme looks like a film star, its cinematic, sexy, edgy and evocative. As is the song.

Emme has bags of ability and is also full of ideas, I love the fact that she is exploring new sounds and wants to collaborate with others.  I look forward to watching her develop and to hear what she comes up with and I hope we can release something else on Last Night From Glasgow in the future.

I caught up with Emme for a quick online chat ahead of her Tut's show tomorrow.

EF -Has the move to electric guitar changed your writing style?

EW - It has a bit, it's kinda free'd me up to experiment more and to go a bit more mental. My playing style has transferred over to electric but has changed because some of the sounds you can get out of an acoustic are a bit different to the sounds on electric, but I'm feeling it.

EF - What do you hope to do/achieve over the next year or so? Are you writing with anyone?

EW - I'm still writing by myself a lot but I've recently started writing with an amazing musician and songwriter; Barrie James O'Neill. I've not long moved into a new house, it is a beautiful old Victorian house and the living room is amazing. It has great acoustics and a piano, so I just invite Barrie over and we write there. With the great space and me and Barrie bouncing ideas off each other it just feels such a creative space.

Over the next year I'm working towards getting an album out. Some tunes are coming together really nicely so I'm getting quite excited to hit the studio soon.


No comments: