Friday 16 December 2011

Five for Friday 16/12/11

This weeks 5 for Friday may well be one of the strongest yet.

We kick off with 'Sugar Man' by Sixto Rodriguez, a track I discovered on a compilation album by the DJ David Holmes, a man with fantastic taste in music.



David Holmes also creates his own music and this is probably my favourite track of his, although '69 Police' runs it close.



This reminds me of a crazy week in 2001/2 when Lynn and I went to about 5 gigs in the space of a week, including a couple of really wild ones that went on to all night parties. I think David Holmes was at the QMU on the Thursday, Basement Jaxx was on the Friday night at the Barrowlands and that led to a party and me getting home at 7am, spending the day in bed and getting up at 5pm going to McChuills, sinking a few pints and then going to see the Stereo MC's. I burnt myself out.

I also remember queueing for the cloakroom at the Barras and someone started the chant 'Where's My (Ma) Jacket?' to the tune of 'Where's Your Head At?'

This is a beast of a track, so powerful in a club or live and the Jaxx team sure knew how to put on a show. Here is a live version from Glastonbury.



We end  with another act I caught at the Barrowlands in 2001, Orbital. This is the quite magnificent 'Chime'.

No comments: