Monday 20 June 2011

Japanese Popstars (featuring Robert Smith) - Take Forever

My very good friend Dave was up at Rock Ness last week taking pictures for STV, the jammy sod. You can check out his pictures HERE

He came back raving about a band from Northern Ireland called Japanese Popstars as did my friend Kirstin. 








It's taken me some time to get around to listening to them, but do you know what? They were right.


Japanese Popstars released their latest single Take Forever (featuring Robert Smith from The Cure) last week. I have seen their name around, but it was through Dave and Kirstin's promptings that I thought I had better check them out properly. So I'm in the process of checking some of their music, but I thought I'd blog about this belter of a tune that has shot to the top of my singles of the year to date;




Robert Smith turns in a fantastic vocal over bubbling synths that bubble into something quite euphoric, the lyrics set a scene of a time and a place where we have all been (well I have) - the end of a night out clubbing/at a festival, falling in love and not wanting the night to end.


Smith sounds like he is pouring his heart out...and his soul for that matter in his own utterly unique style. Many have tried to copy Smith, none have bettered.


Japanese Popstars take the music right down around the 3 minute mark before building it up until you are just dying for the beat to come in. I can imagine the tent must have been bouncing at Rock Ness. The lyrics are below, the tune (sadly not with a video - at least for this 12-inch version) is above. I'm hoping to track it down on vinyl! I can't wait for them to come to Glasgow.


Yeah you know, tonight will end, it always does
And the end is gone forever, when the sun comes up
And yeah you said, our sun will come, but there's always time
Burning up inside for nothing, save the kiss goodbye
Save the kiss goodbye

Yeah you know, tonight will end, it always does
And the end is gone forever, when the sun comes up
And yeah you say, the sun will come, it's always time
Burning up inside for nothing, save a kiss goodbye

Yeah I said, the sun will come, it's always time
But this burning up inside, is how I know you're mine
And yeah I know, tonight will end, it always does
But the end will take forever, if we falllllllllllllllllllll

Yeah I say, the sun will come, it's always time
But this burning up inside, is how I know you're mine
And yeah I know, tonight will end, it always does
But the end will take forever, if we fall in love

Tonight will end, it always does
But the end will take forever, if we fall in love
And yeah I know, tonight will end, it always does
But the end will take forever, if we fall in love 

No comments: