Friday 3 June 2011

Five for Friday Part II

Well I did warn that my 'Five for Friday' posts could become regular. 


This week I've been listening to a wide variety of music, so this is a rather eclectic and eccentric mix.


Last night i was driving home from playing football and there was a BBC Radio 2 show on with Paul Gambaccini waxing on about several songs, including this, from 1987 when I was 13. I've probably not heard it since then, but the mark of a great pop song is that it stays with you.


Hey, I did warn you that this was going to be eclectic and eccentric. This is pure pop, George Michael w/ Aretha Franklin 'I Knew You Were Waiting For Me'.






Changing pace ever so slightly, over the last couple of days I've been reacquainting myself with Underworld's stunning compilation 1992-2002. I could easily write a blog on that album alone, however for now, check out this sublime piece of electronica; '2 months off'. 




Underworld are not getting any younger, yet they are still creating amazing music, check back through my blogs from November 2010 for a review of them on fire at the Barrowlands.


Last Sunday I dj'd for the first time in a long time at an event my friend Craig was putting on. I can't confess to knowing all of Gil Scott-Heron's output, however I do own a few of his albums and in honour of his passing I kicked off my set with this stone cold classic. 'The Bottle'.




I always get a little kick when I DJ if someone comes up and asks me 'what was that?' and that happened with that song. No wonder, it flows along so well, the lyrics are deep and meaningful, it is soul, jazz, poetry....sublime.


Another album I have been listening to is 'The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society'. Released at a time where music was 'far-out' and experimental, The Kinks went about things a little differently with this concept album about all things English. 




'We are the Village Green Preservation Society' is full of lyrical delights like;



We are the Village Green Preservation Society


God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties

Ooh what to end with. Well I'll go for another track i played during my DJ set and another one that caused people to ask 'what was that?'

I actually played the Ritchie Havens version of this song, but here is the original by Lamont Dozier in all its glory - sheer class. This is 'Going Back To My Roots', one of my all time favourite songs.  Enjoy.





No comments: