Friday 27 May 2011

Five for a Friday

In what may or may not become a regular post, here are five songs for your weekend.

I discovered this gem on the St Etienne mix album The Trip. This is just sublime, the vocals are reminiscent of a young Michael Jackson, the musicianship is tremendous, the feeling of the playing and the production just oozes soul. This is Foster Sylvers with the 1973 track Misdemeanor.






Next up we have Glasgow art school combo Orange Juice with this outrageous slice of pop-soul-funk. I've got this on 12-inch and the sticker in the middle looks like a sliced orange - I love that kind of stuff - geek.





For some reason when i search to post the 'long version' it doesn't come up - how annoying, so click HERE


For my third choice it is one of my all time favourite songs, the original version of Come Together by Primal Scream. Utterly magical pop music, later transformed into a gospel house anthem by Andy Weatherall for the Screamdelica album. I never knew this version existed until I bought it on 7-inch vinyl out of the original Missing Records many moons ago.






Again, youtube isn't letting me embed it so click on the link above.


Moving forwards we come a little bit more up to date with this track featuring two of my favourite acts/artists; Hot Chip with Bernard Sumner. This is pure old school with Bernard clearly relishing the chance to produce something of note after the demise of New Order.




We end with track number 5, a recent discovery through Moshi Moshi, this is Clock Opera with the sublime Belongings



No comments: